Healthy Living for a Lifetime
Benefits of healthy living
Medical families are role models to the community and should be conscious of practicing healthy habits
Regular physical activity and a healthy diet are key factors and lead to the following benefits.
- Reduces the risk of dying prematurely from heart disease and other conditions
- Reduces the risk of developing diabetes
- Reduces the risk of developing high blood pressure
- Reduces blood pressure in people who already have high blood pressure;
- Reduces the risk of developing colon and breast cancer
- Helps to maintain a healthy weight
- Helps build and maintain healthy bones, muscles, and joints
- Helps older adults to become stronger and better able to move about without falling
- Reduces feelings of depression and anxiety
- Promotes psychological well-being
Many communities have joined the “Walk with a Doc” effort that began in Ohio or have developed their own program. The basic idea is to have specific times and dates set for groups to meet, listen to a brief health talk, and then walk together for at least 30 minutes. Walkers are encouraged to continue to walk on their own a minimum of 3 times per week. For many attendees, these group walks were the start of a regular program of exercise.
Weekly Wellness Walk (Florida HAP Award Winner)